I had blogged about debugging deadlocked schedulers earlier for SQL Server 2008 R2 and below releases. Since there have been some fundamental changes in SQL Server 2012, I thought it would be a good idea to post about debugging the same scenario on SQL Server 2012 instances.
Archive for the ‘Debugging’ Tag
I had written walkthroughs (Part 1 | Part 2) on how to troubleshoot a Deadlocked Schedulers condition for SQL Server instances. Deadlocked Schedulers is a condition where all your SQL Server worker threads are exhausted and no new work requests are being picked up by the SQL Server instance.
Starting from SQL Server 2012, the System Health extended events session tracks deadlocked schedulers condition using the extended event (scheduler_monitor_deadlock_ring_buffer_recorded). The session tracks other useful events which makes it easy to trace back the series of events which led to the deadlocked schedulers condition!
I will be using the Extended Events UI in SQL Server 2012 management studio to show how the target file of the System Health session can be used to track deadlocked schedulers condition experienced by your SQL Server instance.
In the recent past, I had to work on a SQL Server 2000 instance which became unresponsive after a short period of time the service was restarted. Since this was SQL Server 2000, I didn’t have the opportunity to use a Dedicated Administrator Connection (DAC) to log into the SQL Server instance to see if a DAC connection succeeded. And if it did, could I figure out what was happening on the SQL Server engine that it was not accepting a new connection.
Post the SQL Server service restart, the ERRORLOG very happily indicated no issues and if you weren’t already ready to tear your hair out due to the lack of error messages, the connection failure reported the most generic of errors messages:
Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]General network error. Check your network documentation.
I did the basic due diligence to check if the network protocols were enabled and if the port on which the SQL Server instance was supposed to listen on was actually open. I did happen to check the netstat output to check the activity on the port and found a large number of connections on the SQL Server port. I did a quick check of the count of the number of connections showing up to determine if this was a TCP port exhaustion issue. But that was not the case either! The Errorlog didn’t even report a Deadlocked Schedulers condition for me to know that there was an issue.